Monday, 10 December 2012

How to make an origami Christmas Garland

Yesterday I started decorating the flat for Christmas and it seems like we were one of the last households to do so. When we were kids we weren't allowed the tree up until we broke up from school around the 17th so it feels strange to be getting into things so early but as we are away for Christmas its really nice to be able to enjoy the decorations for a while before we go.

Rodney was away this weekend so I didn't put the tree up but made our fireplace nice and festive for our friends who came round for dinner. Maybe you saw it on Instagram


I was most proud of the garlands I made to hang from the fireplace which are made from origami stars. I originally got the idea from Lisa at Matilde Heart Manech but her tutorial needed pentagon shaped pieces of paper and I was too lazy to get a template and print it out and also thought the origami paper I had might be too small. So I dug around for another tutorial and found this awesome site and instructions on how to make an 8 point star.

The instructions are so great and easy to follow that I won't bother confusing you with my own words, but if you can make the crane you will be OK because you start from the same base. It was a bit more complicated than I expected as their was a strange step where I needed to "invert the tip", again check out the instructions. But after a few failed first attempts I had a pretty good looking star.


Then whenever I had some spare time over the weekend I copied the pattern over and over until I had 21 stars three in different origami paper.


It was then relatively easy to thread them onto a piece of string using a needle and by tying each star in a double knot to stop them all bunching together. I made three strings of seven. Then I attached them to the fireplace.


Each individual star can maybe look a bit ropey depending on how focused I was while making it but all together they look really pretty especially twirling in the heat from the candles. We also keep our presents on the slabs infront of the fireplace because our tree is behind the sofa so we don't want to hide them away down behind it. When they are all wrapped it makes the fireplace look so lovely.



I think they would be really lovely around the bar area in our wedding venue, because at the moment it is a bit of a drab, inbetweeny area, with a staircase running up behind it which is crying out for cheap and pretty decorations. I just need to decide if I have the patience to make 10 times as many stars!!

Tonight Rodney and I put up the tree and the rest of the decorations and I went to the German Christmas markets so things are really starting to feel festive in our house. I'm looking forward to sharing it with you.

Are you all decorated and ready for Christmas? Did you have a date that you needed to wait until to put the tree up when you were wee?

(PS I’m sharing this at the Dare to DIY party hosted by Decor and the DogMaybe MatildaNewly Woodwards, and Two Twenty One and BNOTP)

16 comments :

  1. oh wow! that is so neat! i love the general look and love the handmade aspect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! they were easy once i got the hang of them, just a bit repetitive!! xox

      Delete
  2. love those stars! so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute touch! I love the stars and I totally think you should put some up around the bar at your wedding site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am tempted, but not sure if I have the patience, will see if I can rope Rodney and the bridesmaids in!! xox

      Delete
  4. This is so pretty! I love the idea of making origami stars, and now I want my own origami star garland. ;) It's just so festive and I love the depth of the stars.

    Thanks so much for linking up to Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy, if a bit time consuming to do - you have time before Christmas :-)

      xox

      Delete
  5. Oh my. I haven't done origami in a long time. And it sounds like fun. Love the garland. Thanks so much for joining the Dare to DIY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite relaxing sitting watching TV and making them :-)

      Delete
  6. The garland looks great! I absolutely love all of the little origami stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Some of them are a bit wonky but heyho!

      Delete
  7. I love it, super cute ! Though I am not sure if I am that patient / crafty.
    Back in Mexico we would put the tree on December 8th, it is the official christmas decorating day (I think it has to do with the "Immaculate Conception of Mary" being celebrated that day). There is a very strong religious / cultural sincretism in Mexico.
    Alas... we have to wait until the 16 December to start the decorating in our new baby family... because the boy's birthday is mid-December and he absolutely does not want any Christmas decorations until well after his birthday. So 16 December it will be. So close now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-)

      When we were younger we wouldn't put the tree up until atleast the 15th, but now as we go away for Christmas its nice to put it up earlier so we can enjoy it before we go.

      Have fun when you get to put yours up :-) xox

      Delete
  8. beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing at the hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i absolutely love it! thank you so much for linking up to our party!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, they make my day!!

(I'm afraid I have had to add the word verification off as the spambots have been going crazy recently)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...